In Tom's Shop

MALONE RACK
SYSTEMS
Search

Who's Online
1 registered (kayakinriverotter), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Gallery
Sea Turtles
Rob Lyon's Kevlar Mk II Expedition
Phang Nga Bay
Akuna Bay
St. Johns River Keeper members
St. Johns River Keeper members
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1505 - 03/20/08 03:57 PM Kayak Camping in So Cal?
H2OSensei Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Southern California
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there are any good kayak camping places around So Cal. I'm trying to get my 4 year old into camping and kayaking so I thought I'd combine the two !

I'm looking for places where one could kayak to a remote/primitive-ish camp site or make your own???

Thanks in advance.

#1506 - 03/20/08 04:40 PM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
Athena Holtey Administrator Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: New Hampshire
Janice Green is very familiar with California expedition kayaking...loves to camp and loves California flatwater in particular. We have an article about her on the site with links to some very good information. She's put together a few cd's of photos and location camping options. Here is the article:

Kayaking California\'s Wilderness Flat-Water

Athena

"Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

#1507 - 03/20/08 11:43 PM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
Shark Conspiracies Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Southern California
H2O, not sure where in So. CA you are, but some people like to kayak-camp at Leo Carillo State beach, near the LA/Ventura County border. It's a nice, open, clean patch of beach, though watch for an unexpected shore break on some days. I myself paddle out of Channel Islands Harbor often, though I'll paddle anywhere from Newport Beach to Santa Barbara at times.
Kevin
Pro shark. Pro truth.

#1508 - 03/21/08 12:35 AM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
Seaslug Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Encinitas CA
Remote and Primative are not something you find a lot of in Southern California. There are spots where you can camp on the Colorado River, check out Picacho State Park. Google for" kayaking the Lower Colorado River". There are shuttle services from some of the campgrounds, river might be unsafe for a 4 year old ... something to do in a year or two if they can swim. The sea of cortez is a great place to paddle and camp. Best to go with an outfitter though because there is currently a high risk of crime when traveling in Baja. Campland on Mission Bay is neither remote nor primative but would be about right for a four year old to have place you could paddle safely.

#1509 - 03/21/08 11:42 AM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
TopKayaker

My Dad took us camping every summer from South Bay Los Angeles...all nine of us....."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Lake Elsenore, and Lake Isabella were favorites and I believe one of my nieces still takes her two little ones to Lake Casitas summer weekends, in Ventura.

Yeah, Lake Casitas was a great place.

Athena

#1510 - 03/22/08 01:32 AM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
kfsrmn Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Lake Havasu City AZ
There are boat in camp sites on Havasu but I would not call it remote or secluded.

#1511 - 03/22/08 02:58 AM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal?
RobertH Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I like to paddle from either Avalon Harbor or Two Harbors on Catalina Island to the middle of the island near Twin Rocks. That's about 7 miles one way from either launch site. You can rent a decent SOT at either location and, if you want, return it at the other location, allowing you to cover the entire distance between Avalon and Two Harbors - about 14 miles of some of the best coastline in Southern Cal.

In the Twin Rocks area, you can safely land and camp in a number of small coves. Campsites are primitive - a wooden camping table is the only convenience. The fee is very reasonable, about $12 a night. Reservations can be made online here:

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/camp_boatIn.php

My favorite campsite, which also happens to have an old unserviced outhouse on the bluff above the beach, is Goat Harbor. The view from the outhouse looks like this:

Not bad, eh?

Here are a few shots of the beach:

In terms of your four-year old, the only real question is whether he can sit in a kayak for 2-3 hours to get to the campsite. Once there, I am sure he'll love it. Lots of smooth rocks, gentle or no surf, places to climb around. I am planning on taking my 6-year old and 9-year old soon. The only problem I have is transportation - I would really need a triple kayak with room to spare for gear. Or I would have to rent two doubles, with my wife and myself each paddling with one child.

Let me know if you want any additional info.

Robert

#24343 - 08/24/09 07:32 PM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal? [Re: RobertH]
sky Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: southern california
The best places to kayak and camp in Southern California are at Lake Piru, Silverwood Lake, Big Bear Lake, and at Lake Hodges and Lake Sutherland (no camping at the last two lakes, but there is camping nearby at Lake Dixon. Lake Perris is nice to paddle, but their campground isn't very nice. There isn't any shade...., and a lot of people.

Lake Casitas is a great place to kayak and camp but they have strict rules about allowing outside private kayaks on the lake due to the infestation of quagga mussels. They have kayaks to rent, but it is pretty pricey.

Janice Green

How have you been Athena?

#24345 - 08/25/09 10:23 AM Re: Kayak Camping in So Cal? [Re: sky]
TopKayaker

Hey, Janice, great to hear from you! My niece goes to Lake Casitas every weekend she can, just loves it...but is not a kayaker! Alas!

Athena

Moderator:  Athena Holtey, seajak, Tom 

We hope you've found this information helpful.
We appreciate your feedback & support.
Using these links to purchase or to participate makes TopKayaker.net possible.

tpkr Tom's Shop re R.E.I am Amazon tpo MyTopo Forum Join Forum New Articles Up Newsletter Submit Articles Write Articles

Find more TopKayaker.net Affiliates

TopKayaker.net

Join Forum New Articles Up Newsletter Submit Articles Write Articles
Find more TopKayaker.net Affiliates

TopKayaker.net