In Tom's Shop

MALONE RACK
SYSTEMS
Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Gallery
Sea Turtles
Rob Lyon's Kevlar Mk II Expedition
Phang Nga Bay
Akuna Bay
St. Johns River Keeper members
St. Johns River Keeper members
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9271 - 11/05/06 01:40 AM Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK
hyak Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Seattle, WA
I saw this boat posted to Craig's List in Portland:

Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK

It looks to be composite with a SOT cockpit covered by what looks like a SINK convertible top, very much like the Pacific Star design I came across a few months ago. However, the cockpit and top seems much better designed. Yet, like the Pacific Star SOT, the SINK top makes for a rather high coaming, which is a little concerning. Also, since the cockpit size of the top is so small, it might be hard to re-enter solo, requiring a paddle-float re-entry, negating the major benefit of a SOT. (This would probably also hold true for a Skua ARX for that matter, though the Skua's top cockpit rim seemed significantly bigger as it appeared in the photos.) The SINK top has pronounced moulded shapes for the legs which would make for good bracing and rolling when the top is on. The boat also appears to have a rather flat bottom with little rocker. Additionally, it has a long keel like a canoe might have. So, I would be concerned about its maneuverability and its ability to handle large waves. I would assume this hull design was to appeal to those wanting stability and tracking in calm to moderate conditions.

If it had good drainage in the cockpit, and the top had a secure attachment system, it might still be worth a trip to Portland to check it out.

Anyone know what this is and anything about it? They want $1000 for it, which seems like a lot for an older boat with an oddball specialty design. I guess being a recognized popular US brand helps.

#9272 - 11/05/06 10:52 PM Re: Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK
Seaslug Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Encinitas CA
Neither fish nor fowl ... what's the point ?

You can get quite a nice used sink for $1000 that would not have the liabilities.

#9273 - 11/06/06 10:34 AM Re: Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK
kfsrmn Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Lake Havasu City AZ
Where is the CG? If it is a high seat SOT the cover would offer no real advantage and would probably be more hiderance than help. The Skua is a low seat/low CG and handles like a SINK. The boat might be worth the money but consider it without the top.

#9274 - 11/06/06 02:26 PM Re: Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK
hyak Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, the top would seem to be a liability, and the hull seems no better than a Seda Revenge, and possibly worse with that long keel. Must have been another casualty of "natural selection". Probably best for some who can't decide between a SINK or SOT, with only enough money and storage space for one kayak. Or perhaps someone who mostly paddles a SOT, but would want the SINK deck for the occasional paddle in the cold winter months.

Still it would be better to simply have two (or more) kayaks. I find it easier to find storage space (friend's garage, in the crawl-space under the house, hanging from hooks on the fence under an eve, etc., than compromising the boat's design and performance -- and the paddling experience -- for lack of boat storage.

#9275 - 11/08/06 09:56 AM Re: Wilderness Systems composite touring convertible SOT/SINK
Splash Offline
TopKayaker

Loc: Central Coast CA - be jealous
I would paddle that and throw away the convertible top. Never heard of this before.

Moderator:  seajak 

We hope you've found this information helpful.
We appreciate your feedback & support.
Using these links to purchase or to participate makes TopKayaker.net possible.

tpkr Tom's Shop re R.E.I am Amazon tpo MyTopo Forum Join Forum New Articles Up Newsletter Submit Articles Write Articles

Find more TopKayaker.net Affiliates

TopKayaker.net

Join Forum New Articles Up Newsletter Submit Articles Write Articles
Find more TopKayaker.net Affiliates

TopKayaker.net